IT News

IT solutions: How to share files that are too large to attach to emails

Have you ever wondered if you were the only person on campus with a particular computer problem? Got a quick technology question and don’t know who to call? Contact the IT Help Desk, 785-532-7722, e-mail helpdesk@k-state.edu.

Question: I need to send out a portfolio for an internship, but the files are just too large to attach by email. How can I get this project out?

IT Help Desk: As discussed in a recent article, email attachments are a fast, simple method of sharing smaller files, but file-size limitations can complicate the process. When sharing large files, such as for projects or portfolios, consider using the “Briefcase” sharing feature of Zimbra webmail. Sharing allows you to give other users permission to view and save large files, even if they do not have a K-State account. (For external guests, the file owner must create a password to access the shared briefcase and then give the password to non-K-State users who need to view the files. They cannot make changes to files.)

Question: I am collaborating on a group project where I need to share multiple documents. Is there a better way than sending all these documents as attachments through emails to each of the members of my group?

IT Help Desk: Just create a Zimbra Briefcase folder to store your project items. Then, send a share request to your group members. Next, assign roles to the members who will administer, manage, or view the folder’s contents. Each folder can have different sharing options or even have password protection. Just remember that if you share a folder, the entire contents of the folder are shared, so put your personal information in a separate folder.

Question: Do you have any suggestions for graduate students who need to store important correspondence in addition to files, so they can keep materials organized for dissertations, theses, or reports for the members of their committee? I anticipate having several versions as my project progresses, and each member of my committee may suggest multiple revisions. How can I keep my project organized?

IT Help Desk: File sharing is also useful when you want to organize your project by user. In this situation, you should keep each committee members’ documents filed separately, so that you can keep track of their suggested revisions. Just create multiple folders in your Zimbra Briefcase (one for each committee member) to store project items. Then, place a copy of your paper into each of these separate briefcases. Next, send a share request to your group members and assign each the role of manager.

For step-by-step instructions, refer to “Sharing Folders” or “Sharing Your Items” in Zimbra Help.

by Deborah Goins, IT Help Desk consultant

Share this post: