IT News

How “Find My iPhone” app can be helpful

If you lose your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, help is on the way.  Here on campus, you take your iOS devices everywhere and you may lose them somewhere along the way.

It may be in a classroom, dining facility, or somewhere in your office or dorm room.  Find My iPhone app can help you locate your missing iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

You can access it through any iOS device or on your computer by going to www.icloud.com.  This makes it simple and easy to find your device. 

Setup

First, you will have to download Find My iPhone in the App Store.  After you have installed the app, before you can use Find My iPhone to locate your iOS device, you need to turn on Find My iPhone on each device. Be sure to use the same Apple ID (iCloud account) on each device you set up.

1. On your device’s Home screen, tap Settings, and then tap iCloud.
  2. At the bottom of the screen, tap to turn on Find My iPhone (or Find My iPad or Find My iPod), and when asked to confirm you want this option, tap Allow.
  3. If you are asked to sign in with your Apple ID, then you haven’t set up iCloud on this device and you will have to create an iCloud account.
  4. It is recommended to use a passcode or passphrase to unlock your iOS device.

Features

Once you have installed the Find My iPhone app and you have signed in with your iCloud account, you are ready to use the app.  Below are the features that help you locate your device or protect your data.

1. Locate your device on a map.  You can sign in to icloud.com from any computer web browser or use the Find My iPhone app on another iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to display its approximate location on a map.
  2. Display a message or play a sound. Y ou can write a message and display it on your screen.  Your message appears, even if the screen is locked.  You will also be able to play a sound that overrides the volume or silent setting.  The sound will keep going until the iOS device has been unlocked using a passcode or passphrase.
  3. Set a passcode lock remotely.  You can remotely lock your device to prevent people from using your iPhone, accessing your personal information, or tampering with your settings as long as you have a passcode or passphrase.
  4. Wipe your device remotely.  You can also remotely wipe your device so it will go back to factory settings, then when you get your device back you can restore that data using your iCloud backup.  Using this setting will prevent you from locating your iOS device using the “Find My iPhone” app.

Screenshot of location message

Share this post: