Hard Drive Recycling Day is scheduled 8:30-11 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 3, on the Manhattan campus to help departments properly dispose of old hard drives from university computers.
Departments should determine which records that are stored on the hard drives can be destroyed. Refer to the university’s Records Retention Policy and schedule, PPM Chapter 3090. Contact university archivist, Cliff Hight (785-532-3420, email@example.com) if you have any questions about the retention length of records.
A signed Hard Drive Recycling Day form is required to facilitate this service.
A vehicle will be available at the loading dock on the east side of Hale Library for dropping off hard drives.
- All hard drives must be removed from computers before being dropped off, and must be accompanied by a signed form.
- Boxes of used hard drives must weigh less than 25 pounds each, and the boxes containing the drives must be in good condition to be transported.
- Solid-state drives need to be clearly marked and boxed separately from traditional hard drives.
Departments with 20 pounds or more of hard drives may contact the Information Technology Assistance Center at 785-532-4918 to schedule assistance for picking up the drives. Drives must be removed from computers before scheduling pick-up assistance.
If you need assistance removing the hard drives on your devices, please contact the system administrator for your unit.
Hard drives will be secured by a contracted vendor to be shredded.
This event is to facilitate proper disposal of hard drives. To recycle the computers themselves, an appropriate request must be made through K-State Facilities. Visit the following links for further information:
- Media Sanitation and Disposal Policy
- Facilities Recycling Services (download DA-110 form)
- Facilities Request Page
- E-Waste Form
Questions regarding this event should go to the Information Technology Assistance Center, 785-532-4918.