Shred Day is scheduled 8:30-11 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 17, to properly dispose of university paper records on the Manhattan and Salina campuses.
Departments can place their paper documents with personal identity information (Social Security numbers, birth dates, credit card numbers, etc.) in designated bags and boxes to:
- Manhattan campus: Deliver to Mid-Campus Drive near the K-State Student Union.
- Salina campus: Deliver to the loading area between the east and west wings of the Technology Center.
To determine which records can be included, please refer to the university’s records retention policy and schedule, PPM Chapter 3090. If you have any questions about the retention length of records, please contact university archivist Cliff Hight at firstname.lastname@example.org or 785-532-3420.
Bags or boxes should not weigh more than 25 pounds each and should be accompanied by a Campus Shred Day form.
On the Manhattan campus, departments with more than five boxes or bags can contact the Information Technology Assistance Center at 785-532-4918 to schedule a time and location for pickup. Please do not leave bags for shredding unattended.
Documents for shredding include: Scantron forms; greenbar grade sheets; rosters printed from K-State Online, KSIS, SIS, etc.; papers with personal identity information; data with credit card information; personnel files; and more. Papers can be left in ring binders, file folders and hanging file folders for shredding. All paper must be dry.
For a quick look at retention of documents:
- Personnel records should be retained for the entire time the employee is active and then five years after termination.
- Appointment records: Classified, unclassified, hourly and graduate student appointment and termination records (PER-38, PER-39, PER 40, PER-41, PER-42); conditional appointment agreement; I-9 employment eligibility form 5AT/D
- Time and leave records: Classified, unclassified, student, and hourly time-worked and leave-used records 5/D
What happens to the paper once it leaves campus? All paper is shred to one-half inch particulate size, then mixed and tumbled and eventually compressed under 70,000 pounds of pressure into paper bales. The bales are transported to a paper mill and recycled into other paper goods.
We will be accepting hard drives that have been removed from printers and copiers.
Additionally, we will be offering a limited service for shredding light storage media (floppy disks, flash drives, hard drives from the copier/scanners, etc.). As in the handling of paper, the media must be delivered in boxes weighing less than 25 pounds each. The collected media will be destroyed by the vendor. iTAC reserves the right to refuse items that are unacceptable for transport, or too large for reasonable accommodation. For any questions regarding this service, please contact the iTAC reception desk at 785-532-4918.
For more information about this event, contact:
- Manhattan campus: Information Technology Assistance Center, 785-532-4918
- Salina campus: Information Systems, 785-826-2666