November is the perfect opportunity to thank the IT staff for all they do to support K-State 2025, Strategic Enrollment Management, the new budget model, the IT Strategic Plan, One IT and so much more.
The hard work of staff was recognized when K-State was named the recipient of the E&I Cloud Leadership Award for the Hybrid Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS) category. There were over a hundred applications for the award categories. K-State’s recognition was due to careful planning, the innovative hybrid approach, and the speed of the move to cloud services. Thank you to the IT staff from a grateful campus.
The summary that follows is organized by strategic goals within the IT Strategic Plan.
Goal: Modernize Infrastructure
- Upgrade the university network
- Networking and Telecommunications Services (NTS) just finished upgrading wireless connectivity in Durland. Staff are now focused on the second and third floors of Hale Library.
- Planning continues for the
- network upgrades in the Veterinary Medicine Complex and KSUIC
- McCain Expansion
- Baseball Stadium renovation – cabling has started.
- the south end zone expansion of Bill Snyder Family Stadium and other athletic venues.
- Modernize the data center
- Staff are focused on the work streams within the AWS – MRP project including the data center relocation options. CommVault backup system was completed on Oct 22.
- Develop the cloud and hosted computing strategy
- Cloud Center of Excellence – is working on a pilot project related to cloud services with the College of Business
- The Canvas LTI went to VMWare on AWS on Nov 7.
- The Admissions Application went live in Native AWS on Nov 14.
- ERP systems beginning with FIS will move to the cloud and managed services. FIS will be unavailable at 6 p.m. on Nov. 15 and return to service on the evening of Nov. 17. KSIS and HRIS will be unavailable at 7 p.m. on Thurs., Nov 21 and back online the evening of Sun., Nov 24.
Goal: Re-architect Enterprise Applications
- Define and implement enterprise customer relationship (CRM) strategy.
- CRM project – Accomplishments to date are posted on the CRM website. The next Town Hall meeting is scheduled for Dec 12. See the website for more information.
Goal: Improve Enterprise Security
- Establish cybersecurity awareness and risk management
- Cybersecurity Awareness training has been completed by 4,913 employees. A reminder was sent the week of Nov 4.
- Improve enterprise security
- Global Protect VPN replaces the current AnyConnect VPN, which sunsets Nov 14. More information is available here.
- Duo, two factor authentication, will be completed for employees on Nov 18 and has been installed by 6,698 faculty/staff and students.
Comparison of Phishing Scams and Compromised eIDs
|YTD 2019||YTD 2018||YTD 2017|
|Phishing scam tickets processed||2874||2021||6523|
Goal: Strengthen Communications and Feedback – this initiative encompasses communication and training. In an effort to improve IT Service Delivery and offerings, staff are learning more about ITIL. One IT staff continue to provide professional development for campus. Checkout the ITS events calendar for information on available training sessions.