What to expect during our 20th Anniversary and Reunion Weekend: The who, what, when, where, and why of reconnecting with leadership studies!
John F. Kennedy once said, “leadership and learning are indispensable to each other,” and I couldn’t agree more. As a sophomore, I have only been involved within the Staley School for a short period of time, but it has already impacted my life immensely; I have been challenged to grow in ways I never expected. K-State and leadership studies have truly become a home for me, and I know it is also considered a home for many of you. As a Staley School of Leadership Studies Ambassador, I couldn’t be more excited to welcome you home for our 20th Anniversary Celebration!
My name is Kristen Jones, and as Ambassadors, we’re looking forward to serving as hosts for our alumni and friends during our 20th Anniversary Celebration and Reunion Weekend! When I think of what this weekend entails, here is a sneak peek of what you can expect when you join us on November 10-12th!
You! Come back to campus to…
- Reconnect with former classmates: (RSVP and check out a list of who’s coming from the K-State Foundation event page). You can also check out our Facebook Event to see who on your friends list will be there, and if you don’t see someone on the list who you definitely want to connect with, be sure to invite more friends to the event via Facebook!
- Catch up with current and past faculty and staff mentors: Wouldn’t you love to see Candi Hironaka, Bob Shoop, Mary Kay Siefers, Lynda Bachelor, Ata Karim and more?!
- Meet the first graduating class of Leadership Studies: These 14 grads are being honored as our Leaders-in-Residence!
- Get to know current students: Browse booths and meet current students from your favorite programs, like:
- Eat, drink, and be social! Gather together, sharing food (your local favorites from Coco Bolo’s, Hibachi Hut, & Cox BBQ), drinks (with hosted bar), and memories. All events are family friendly!
What, When, and Where:
7th Annual “Spirit of Leadership”
Friday, November 10 at 6:30pm
Join us at the Leadership Studies Building for a fun and celebratory evening. We will begin with a social hour full of hors d’oeuvres and a hosted bar, followed by a short program in Town Hall. This evening will be an opportunity for mini-reunions and connections!
Saturday, November 11
Tailgate with Leadership Studies prior to the 2:30pm kickoff of K-State vs. West Virginia
Join us for tailgating fun and a barbeque in Cat Town at Bill Snyder Family Stadium, catered by Cox Brothers BBQ. Cost to enjoy the BBQ is $18 per person. Football tickets are still available in our group block for $35.00. Please contact Tamara Bauer at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Sunday, November 12 at 9:30-11:30am
Leadership Lens Brunch and Open House at Leadership Studies Building to tour building and dedicate new artwork
Stop by the Leadership Studies for a come-and-go brunch, a hosted bar, and tours of the Leadership Studies Building. Have you been back since we’ve opened the new building? Our Ambassadors are excited to show you around. We will also be dedicating the new photography around the building, featuring photo submissions from the Leadership Lens Project!
All these events are family friendly! We will have a designated room for kids to spend time with some of our students who are Academic Mentors in the Manhattan community.
My first experience with Leadership Studies was through LEAD 212: Introduction to Leadership Concepts, and it was like being brought into a new family. When I think of the Staley School, the image of when I was a kid playing outside comes to mind, and I feel that same amount of happiness when I walk into Leadership Studies.
I value leadership studies from what I learn in the classroom, but also from what I learn from others, specifically our alumni. Throughout my year and a half at K-State, I have been able to connect with many alumni, and I always seem to learn something new from them; whether it be about the history of the Staley School or something I can apply to my own leadership.
I am so incredibly thankful for our alumni and all the differences that they have made here in the Manhattan community, on campus, and in their own workplaces and communities. And, on Nov 10-12th, I look forward to connecting and learning from more alumni like you!
-Kristen Jones, sophomore in secondary education and a minor in leadership studies
P.S. Can’t join us in person? Join us electronically, via YouTube LIVE!