As time continues to tick on, financial aid packages for the 2020-2021 academic year will be posted in KSIS and as a student you will need to make decisions on what and how much to accept. This can get a little bit overwhelming but Powercat Financial is here to help. We can help you by creating a budget with our great tool called the College Financial Plan. A link to this worksheet if you’d like to utilize it on your own, and other helpful tools, can be found on the right-hand side of our website at https://www.k-state.edu/powercatfinancial/planning/.
The College Financial Plan worksheet has multiple parts that our Peer Financial Counselors can walk you through to help you determine how much you may need to accept in loans to cover your school costs. An appointment with us to create your personal College Financial Plan includes assistance with the following:
- Estimating your personal costs for a month – this includes items like rent, groceries, and eating out.
- Translating the monthly amount to a semester total – this makes it easier to determine how much you will need in total for a semester since financial aid is offered on a semester basis.
- Calculating school-related expenses that are only paid for each semester – this would include tuition, fees, books, and supplies for specific classes.
- Factoring in payments from other sources – this is for funds that are not loans. For example, scholarships, family support, part-time work income and/or grants.
- Seeing the amount that still needs to be covered – this amount is the amount you will need to cover with loans or via out-of-pocket payment perhaps by signing up for the tuition installment payment plan.
This process is very important, not only will it identify how much you will need to cover in loans it can also identify if you have been taking out too much in loans. This can save you from taking unnecessary funds that can incur interest costs.
Powercat Financial would love to meet with you virtually through Zoom or telephone sessions to walk through a College Financial Plan with you or discuss any other financial questions you may have. You can make an appointment by requesting an appointment at www.ksu.edu/powercatfinancial.
Rebecca Kuderka – Graduate Assistant