Student Stories

Blogger Roundtable: You Must Take This Class

What's your favorite class at K-State?There is always that one class you take with you after college. Whether it’s a soul-baring writing class or a tough-as-nails statistics course, this one class leaves its mark on you and challenges you to stretch the limits of your brain and redefine your comfort zone. Read on to learn which classes at K-State spurred our student bloggers on to great new heights and why!

Maria Penrod, journalism and public relations
Most memorable class: Introduction to Theatre

A young, baby-faced Maria enrolled in Introduction to Theatre, Theatre 180, for the first semester of her freshman year. This was an early morning class for me, and it was just what I needed. This is not a lecture and take notes class. It was a get up and get moving class! We told stories and played games, and we were learning the whole time. We talked about all aspects of theatre, from dialogue to set design. For a final project, we designed our own show based on a story that had happened it our lives. Whether you have theatre experience or not, this is a great way to take care of your fine arts credit!

Natalie Gonzales, public relations, with a minor in leadership studies
Most memorable class: Introduction to Cultural Anthropology

If I had to choose a favorite class I would have to say Anthropology 204. In my first semester of my junior year, I took “Introduction to Cultural Anthropology” with Professor Michael Wesch simply as an elective and came out with a genuine inspiration.

“I had the urge to never wear shoes or drive a car again, to be conscious of where my purchases were manufactured and about the back story of every company I was associated with purely with the intention of living more freely. I would highly recommend this class to anyone, in any major as it will convince you to take a step out of your comfort zone and live with a purpose.” – Natalie Gonzales

The goal of the class was to get you to think about your life and culture, the lives and cultures of others and see things in a different way. Dr. Wesch took us through his experiences in Papa New Guinea, as well as cultures around the world in order to come full circle and experience our own cultures in a new way. I had the urge to never wear shoes or drive a car again, to be conscious of where my purchases were manufactured and about the back story of every company I was associated with purely with the intention of living more freely. I would highly recommend this class to anyone, in any major as it will convince you to take a step out of your comfort zone and live with a purpose.

Cody Watson, business management with a minor in leadership studies
Most memorable class: Organizational Behavior

The class I would recommend is MANGT 520 – Organizational Behavior with Dr. Donita Whitney-Bammerlin. The class teaches students how to work with those around them in a positive and productive way. It is not your normal college class and involves lots of hands-on learning and projects to help teach your fellow peers. Dr. D is also one of the best teachers I have ever had during my time at K-State. She is extremely passionate about helping her student succeed.

Al Basha, finance and entrepreneurship
Most memorable classes: Intro to Theatre and Intro to Entrepreneurship

My two favorite classes were Intro to Theater and Intro to Entrepreneurship with Professors Shannon Blake and Chad Jackson.

Intro to Theater was probably my favorite experience in college so far. The class content really helped broaden some of my horizons and it also helps raise awareness regarding social issues but sometimes is also just plain fun. We got to watch and read play excerpts from plays by renowned writers and got to watch full productions either at Nichols Hall or the Purple Masque Theater on campus. The exams were merely just questions asking to analyze the plays. We got to watch comedy, drama, and even horror on stage; and trust me you do not want to underestimate K-State Theater. I do not see a class being more enjoyable than this one.

“A guest once talked about how much he has learned about himself and about his businesses by failing a number of times and ended class that day by telling us all to ‘go out there and start failing.’” – Al Basha

Intro to Entrepreneurship was also a class that I walked away from with more than just academia. The class not only teaches the basics of self-starting or self-managing a business (which I bet almost all of us have considered before) but also Prof Jackson makes sure that the class discussion provides inspiration and motivation related to how to succeed in college and in other battle fronts in life. The class includes lectures from many successful K-State-alumni-entrepreneurs who offer insight to students to the secret to their discipline and success. A guest once talked about how much he has learned about himself and about his businesses by failing a number of times and ended class that day by telling us all to “go out there and start failing.”