Student Stories

Do what you love and you will never have to work a day in your life

I love what I do, and I feel really grateful that I can say that. That thought made me think even more about why it is I am yet to dread anything I do and unlike a lot of people I do not have any miserable tasks hanging over my head. This is an “explore as you write” kind of blog-post where I just threw a random thought or feeling onto my laptop screen and at this point I do not even know where I am going with this.

Is it that I find the silver lining in everything? Is it that I am too easily entertained? (I would put my money on that.) Or is it that I coincidentally have a knack for everything I do? (I would NOT put any money on that- at all.)

Almost everyone works for a living, but a good chunk of those people work just for that purpose, a living. While that is very important, making a living is only half of the deal for me, I work because it yields me purpose and fulfillment. If I did not feel like I am contributing to the society around me that would probably drive me mad.

I love my majors, Finance and Entrepreneurship, I find that what I study is exciting and applicable in real life and I cannot wait to graduate and start working in either field. I also love my job at the K-State Teleund, I raised a lot of money for my school over the phone for almost two years and now I get to coach and mentor other callers who are in the same shoes I was in. I absolutely loved my job at the Collegian being a reporter because I got to write and experience being a real-life journalist and if it was not for the huge time-commitment I would still be doing it. I love my job at K-State Admissions because going into it with such little experience I have now learned so much about different database software and some of the tasks require investigative work and it is just plain fun to solve those puzzles.

So here it is: I did not have a knack for anything I do now, in fact, I never thought I would be majoring in Finance or Entrepreneurship, let alone both. I always thought I would be either an engineer or a vet. I also definitely did not think I would work in fund-raising, journalism, or any sort of database management. I just tried a bunch of things until I found what I enjoy. I try something outside of my comfort zone every now and then, and if I do not like it I do not do it, and if I cannot get out of doing it I apply myself until I am good enough at it that I enjoy it. Do what you love, love what you do.

About Abdurahman "Al"

Hey, name is Abdurahman Basha, but you can call me Al. I'm a sophomore majoring in finance and entrepreneurship. I do a little bit of everything and try to learn as I go. I enjoy coffee, cooking, photography, Tumblr, and the TV show Friends. I blog about how to survive and make the most out of college outside a 4.0 GPA.