Student Stories

What Makes K-State Great: Yepiao Yu

yu

Senior in Secondary Education – Spanish

Hometown: Shenzhen, China

Favorite Fun Fact: Octopuses have two hearts

Spirit Animal: Cat

Do you think trying new things is scary? This K-State student moved to a different country to go attend college!

Yepiao Yu is one girl who is not afraid of trying new things. She left China to come to K-State through an exchange program, and has been having tons of new experiences here in the good ole’ US of A. But this isn’t the only place she’s been.

This past summer, she traveled to Japan and spent time exploring yet another new country! Because she’s a nature-lover, she did tons of discovering in the woods of Japan, and enjoying her surroundings.

“In Tokyo, you can walk around in one of the world’s biggest metropolises, but you can also enter the deepest forest on the west side of Tokyo,” Yepiao explained.

The day before she was supposed to head home, she decided that she might as well climb Mt. Fuji while she was there! I don’t know about you, but climbing a huge, volcanic mountain on a whim is not something in my repertoire. For Yepiao, however, it was just something she wanted to do, so she went for it.

Besides spontaneously climbing mountains, Yepiao enjoys playing guitar and piano, movies, and learning languages! She is studying Spanish and Japanese, and knows Chinese and English! And most of us have a hard time learning one additional language (or at least I do!) Not Yepiao.

“I love learning different languages and exploring different cultures on earth. Two hours pass by and it feels like two minutes.”

Other hobbies of Yepiao’s include running and biking: “It gets tiring sometimes, and two minutes feel like two hours, but I am happy after I finish my distance goal. Linear trail is a good place to bike and run. I also like walking around the Konza!”

I met Yepiao in a Spanish class here at K-State, and one thing I noticed about her right away is how insightful she is. Through our discussions in la clase de Español, I learned that she truly loves learning. K-State has helped her fulfill this passion.

“My K-State story is coming to another country and being able to learn what I want to learn. There are so many people from different parts of the world here, and by interacting with them my perspectives are changing and my vision about this world is changing too.”

Her catch-phrase, a quote from Haruki Murakami, is also an indication of her insightfulness: “If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think the things that everyone else is thinking.”

Not only is she intelligent and inspiring, she is also incredibly talented! I remember one particular talent show hosted by Moore hall where she played Ukulele and sang “Riptide” by Vance Joy, and I was blown away. She has also participated in talent shows organized by the Chinese Student Scholar Union.

Yepiao is a joy to get to know, and I highly recommend talking to her if you get the chance! She is certainly unique, and definitely worth knowing.

“The things that make me, me, are the books I read, the music I listen to, the movies I watch, and the people who show up in my life and inspire me. . . and I always follow my heart.”

About Malorie

My name is Malorie Wagner, and I am a junior majoring in English. I believe that everyone here has a story, and I hope to share some of the stories of those that make our university so great with you through my blog. Go ‘Cats!