Student Stories

How to survive as a night owl in an early bird world

img_0055
I have a coffee maker at the foot of my bed. I know, I have a problem.

*oops it is 2:00 a.m. again*

I swear I am writing this blog at 2:30 in the afternoon. But usually, most of my productive hours are late at night. Nine p.m. to midnight is MY TIME. When everyone else is winding down, I am just getting started. If I had taken the ACT at 9:00 p.m. instead of 8:00 a.m., I would have scored at least 4 points higher. I could beat Steph Curry at 21 after 9:00 p.m. I could write Taylor Swift’s next hit song, clean the bathroom, and do all the Christmas shopping for a family of four from 9:00 to midnight.

While I am great late at night, I am worthless in the morning. In high school, I would drive to school in the morning and FAIL to remember it. Yes, that is concerning. In college, I have overslept and missed my 10:30 class. MY 10:30 CLASS. My former supervisor, Cole (Hi Cole! I highly doubt you read my blog but here’s a shoutout for you anyway) would see my dazed morning face and ask me if I was sick and needed to go home. I wasn’t sick. It was just 8:00 a.m. and I wasn’t fully alive yet. My roommates, family and close friends know that I should should not be spoken to until after 10:00 a.m. or my coffee is finished.

Young blog-readers, it is time for you to learn from my mistakes. Here are my tried and true tips for how to be a night owl in an early bird world:

• Try to keep as normal of a sleep schedule as possible, especially during the week. It will make it easier for you to be highly functional and pleasant at normal people times.
  • Get enough sleep Even night owls need 7-9 hours of sleep per night! You are not superhuman. Take care of yourself. I know it is nearly impossible to go to bed before midnight. I know. Please try.
  • Have a bedtime routine that helps you wind down. My bedtime routine takes about an hour, because it takes me that long to relax at night. I shower at night and then read (for fun!) in bed to coerce my brain into shutting off.
  • Don’t exercise at night. Sorry 8:30 p.m. hip-hop Zumba, you are too late, and get me too hyped, then I can’t sleep.
  • Force yourself to get up. I try to make my schedule so I have work or class everyday at by 8:30. This motivates me to wake up and keep human hours.
  • Tea or coffee My 8:00 a.m. K-State pep is brought to you by coffee. There is no other way.
  • Be honest I am not allowed to ask my Mom any difficult questions after 9:00 p.m. My Mom is not allowed to ask me any difficult questions until after 10:00 a.m. This works for us. If you know you are not your best self before or after a certain time, be clear with your loved ones about that. It will prevent a lot of problems. You are welcome.

About Maria

My name is Maria and I am a sophomore dual-majoring in journalism and public relations. I enjoy blogging about things I have learned and cool experiences, and I hope to tell K-Staters in my blog about all the fun to be had here.