Student Stories

Get Up and Get Going

Alright folks. We’re going to talk about mornings, *insert groans*
And not only mornings…but routines in the morning. *more groans and confusion because I didn’t know that was a thing*

In college it’s easy to sleep until 10 minutes before your first class, scramble out of bed, put shoes on, get to your building and finish waking up as the class begins. We all like sleep and most of us hate that sleep coming to an end. But there is real benefit in waking up just a little bit (or a lot a bit) earlier and getting moving.

Okay, and I who rarely falls asleep before 2:30 a.m. know that that’s easier said then done, so I’m going to give you a few tips for getting up a little early and getting your day started.

First, the preparation. You can’t feel confident about the day if you have no homework done, no laundry and no idea what your work schedule is. On Sunday night, eat a healthy meal, do your laundry, get your homework done, check on your commitments and set outfits and assignments out ready for Monday morning. Being prepared will make waking up the next morning a whole lot less stressful.

Second, have a routine – for night and for morning. A couple hours before bed start winding down – finish up homework and gradually start shutting off technology. Read a book, do yoga – anything to help your body know that it’s time to start thinking about rest. Same goes for in the morning. Have a routine that you keep every morning. Are you a coffee drinker? Do you like to start your day with exercise? Find a routine that works for you and stick to it. It’ll give you a sense of consistency that will give you some calm throughout the week.

and third, the actual waking up part. This is the hardest part of all. I can plan to go to yoga, make a good breakfast and check my emails every morning with no problem, but it’s the waking up and getting out of bed that becomes the biggest challenge. The first way you can ensure that waking up will at least be easier is getting a sufficient amount of sleep and get good sleep (see bit about turning off technology) you’re like duh.. I know. But it really will help. Second, set a (fun) alarm and place your phone just out of arms reach…or across the room. Engaging muscles and forcing yourself to function just a bit could be the little bit you need to grasp onto and get yourself up. And lastly, this is one I hadn’t thought of until I did it one morning that I absolutly HAD to get up, get up and make it less comfortable; turn off the fan, or turn it on, make the bed, change – whatever makes getting back in bed harder.

I am not a morning person by any means. But I made a personal goal to try this for a week and I’ve never felt less stressed. So I’m going to challenge you. Try it for a week, just a week. You’ll feel better, less stressed and less scrambly and you’ll really be able to stop and enjoy free time.

About Natalie

My name is Natalie Gonzales, and I am a junior majoring in public relations, and minoring in leadership studies. I like laughing, coffee, jelly beans, working out and Harry Potter, and busy is my middle name; anyone who knows me will tell you that my planner is my best friend. I like writing in little coffee shops about this beautiful place called Manhattan, Kansas, and the thoughts and musings of college students today. This semester I look forward to giving you a virtual tour around town and into the mind of a Wildcat.