Student Stories

An Open Letter to My Freshman Self

penrod-graduation-20Dear past me,

What’s up homie? It’s Maria from the future. It’s 2016! Oh the things I have to tell you…

First of all, The How I Met Your Mother series finale was terrible. Second of all, Drake and Rihanna dated and then broke up. Lastly, we graduated! WOO! I know you are scared, nervous, anxious, and petrified about starting college, but you are going to have a blast. I won’t spoil the journey by telling you everything, but I will tell you a few things I wish I had realized sooner.

Be picky about the people you spend time with. The people you surround yourself with are who you become. If people in your life aren’t uplifting, encouraging, and moving you forward, they are not people that you need.

Stop being afraid and do the things you want to do. You will waste so much time being anxious and worried. Do what you love. If you fail, at least you tried. If you succeed, then awesome! Don’t concern yourself with what others have to say about it.

Don’t compare yourself to others. In high school and before, all your friends were on the same path. You were living with your parents, going to class, and watching Glee. After high school graduation, everyone’s paths diverged. People scattered to different colleges, technical schools and jobs. Some have kids, some get married. Some join the military and move far away. It is easy to look at your classmates and say “Wow, she has it all together. I wish I was like her.” or “He is doing better than me, I am such a mess.” Push these thoughts away. Everyone is struggling and forging their own path, even if you don’t see their struggle. We are on different roads, hitting different potholes. Comparing your road to theirs will only bring you down.

Don’t put so much pressure on yourself. You are going to do so well and surprise yourself in so many ways. Relax, and have a little faith. Focus on being the best Maria you can be. Don’t worry about the Megans or the Chelseas, they aren’t you. (See above paragraph about not comparing yourself to others.)

Stop procrastinating. This one is for your past, present and future self. Stop procrastinating. You are literally going gray because of it.

I also wish you’d study Spanish. Would it kill you to eat something leafy and green? Call your Grandma.

Well, I’ll let you get back to finding a hairstyle that works with your head shape. See you in the mirror, champ.

XOXO, Maria from 2016

About Maria

My name is Maria and I am a sophomore dual-majoring in journalism and public relations. I enjoy blogging about things I have learned and cool experiences, and I hope to tell K-Staters in my blog about all the fun to be had here.
2 thoughts on “An Open Letter to My Freshman Self
  1. Dear 1965 Freshman Self: You are only taking 16 credit hours of classes. Organize your time like a 40 hour work week. That means you should schedule 24 hours of studying each week. Remember: There are 168 hours in a week. That leaves you plenty of time to eat, sleep, play Bridge in the Union and make friends!