Student Stories

Stop and Smell The Roses

Not even four weeks into school and you already feel like you are ready for summer?

I totally understand. Sometimes I forget to pace myself and I end up with too much to do all at once and I feel like I am in a rush and there are not enough hours in a day.

Well, I recently realized that I just have to slow down, stop, and reorganize. These last three weeks I had been painting myself into a corner because I was cramming everything together. At some point I realized that if I keep going like this I’ll burn out by midterms. I started working a little less, waking up earlier every morning, making Friday nights school-free time, and I started keeping a to do list.

Now I have more time to go to the Rec or do chores and keep my apartment clean. If my place is messy it really makes me feel like a mess so it helps me mentally when everything is clean and neat.

I have more time in the morning to make breakfast, so I do not have to get Pop Tarts at the vending machine or break the bank at Radina’s every morning -and it is just good nutrition. Again, it helps a lot mentally when I am up early enough as to not be in a rush so I can peacefully drink my coffee or go over news or my email.

The study-free Friday night thing helps quite a bit because now I have an official break time and I can spend my week focused on what I have to do for school or work and have something to look forward to at the end of the week.

Finally, my to-do list. I can be a bit forgetful, it is amazing how much homework or errands I will forget until the last minute. So I keep a handy little notebook with me where I write down homework and errands and when they need to be done. It helps me sleep at night knowing I did not forget something I was supposed to do.

I would say just stop and smell the roses, and reorganize while you are at it.

About Abdurahman "Al"

Hey, name is Abdurahman Basha, but you can call me Al. I'm a sophomore majoring in finance and entrepreneurship. I do a little bit of everything and try to learn as I go. I enjoy coffee, cooking, photography, Tumblr, and the TV show Friends. I blog about how to survive and make the most out of college outside a 4.0 GPA.