Student Stories

Study Smarter, Not Harder

If you have a part-time job it can be tricky to balance college and work. I found a few really neat tricks to get some quality studying done while at work. It will work well if you have a campus job like me where you can do work with your earbuds in.

Khan Academy: If your supervisor does not mind you pulling up YouTube for a couple of seconds every now and then to find a video or rewind stuff, give Khan Academy a try. I owe a lot to listening to their videos, especially when the subject is a little boring, like good ol’ interest rates, it helps turning yourself into a captive audience.

Text To Speech Reader: This is a really cool online tool and it is perfect if you have readings to do out of an online resource like an E-Text or a PDF, or even an article. I just copy the text and paste it into the online text reader and it reads it back in a variety of accents and speeds. Here is a link to a website I found works best, TTS Reader.

Audio Books: I do not know about textbooks, but almost every semester up to this point in college I have had a class where there was some sort of required reading out of a regular book. There are a lot of sources where you can find audio books. Audible seems to be the best one in terms of selection and quality, you can find anything on there, but you can also find many books in audio form on YouTube. You would be surprised how many books you can find in audio form.

About Abdurahman "Al"

Hey, name is Abdurahman Basha, but you can call me Al. I'm a sophomore majoring in finance and entrepreneurship. I do a little bit of everything and try to learn as I go. I enjoy coffee, cooking, photography, Tumblr, and the TV show Friends. I blog about how to survive and make the most out of college outside a 4.0 GPA.