Student Stories

Credit Hours Don’t Grow On Trees

As I was walking into the College of Business Building on Friday I ran into Dr Bosco walking out with a mom and her high school junior. He walked up to me to ask how many credit hours I came to K-State with, because he was trying to show the student the importance of transferring in as many credits as possible. So that interaction made me realize the importance of accumulating as many credits in the shortest time possible. It is the best thing one can do to make their life in college easier, and there are so many different ways to do it.

So first there is the obvious thing, transferring in credits from high school. If you are a high school student reading, this I am just going to come out and tell you: AP credits are a god-send and if you can do them in high school then suck it up and take as many as they will let you. Some high schools also partner with community colleges to offer transferrable courses that you can take at your high school.

Now, if you have missed that train, there are a couple other things you could do. What I did was take a summer course here at K-State one year and then a few summer courses at a community college. Some community colleges also offer online courses that transfer into K-State (Disclaimer: always check course equivalency first to make sure that K-State will accept the course and what it transfers as). This summer while I am interning in Wichita I am taking some online courses to help me have a really lean and easy senior year. Intersessions are also a pretty good option, I do not have an experience with one but I hear they are very rushed. I do not take them because I like having my Christmas break free, but if you are up for it, it is a perfect opportunity to rack up those credit hours.

About Abdurahman "Al"

Hey, name is Abdurahman Basha, but you can call me Al. I'm a sophomore majoring in finance and entrepreneurship. I do a little bit of everything and try to learn as I go. I enjoy coffee, cooking, photography, Tumblr, and the TV show Friends. I blog about how to survive and make the most out of college outside a 4.0 GPA.