Student Stories

Strength in Circles

Pi. Pie. Yin and Yang. Donuts. Smiley Faces. All of these things are circular, and all of them are very useful in our lives. Read on to learn about my favorite circular source of strength at K-State!

While Pi, Yin and Yang, Smiley Faces, and Pies are all excellent circular objects and concepts, I must admit, my heart lies with circles in the form of donuts. Not just any donuts will do the trick, though—I am partial to the greatest donuts in Manhattan: Varsity Donuts.

Varsity is the fantastic donut shop in Aggieville, and trust me—I’ve spent my fair share of time there. Not only is there just about every kind of donut imaginable in this store of happiness, but there are also vintage bikes that you can rent and ride around town! So you can treat yourself to a nice red velvet donut (one of my faves), then take a bike ride and not have to worry about the calories you’ve consumed!

(Plus, one of my life mottoes is calories only exist if you count them…so if you’re not feeling a bike ride you could just get another donut instead!)

The store itself has a truly fun feel. There’s a piano inside that talented donut-lovers play, a huge chalkboard wall that creative ‘Cats of all ages can decorate, and tons of board games stocking the shelves that you can play whenever you want! It’s a great hangout place, especially if you need a fun and relaxing break from a stressful week of school!

On weekends, you can enjoy the traditional Varsity shop during the day, and then take a visit to the Varsity Truck in the evening! Yes, in the alleyway behind the store is a Varsity food truck, where you can get donuts, corn dogs, and the famous Grilled Cheese Mac’n’Cheese. Take your mom, take your friends, take friendly strangers—just GO to this awesome place! I promise, you won’t regret it.

Varsity is one of the staples of a healthy K-State diet. Next time you’re in the mood for something sweet and satiating, stop in and say hi, grab a circle of sugary satisfaction, and enjoy your time at Varsity Donuts!

About Malorie

My name is Malorie Wagner, and I am a junior majoring in English. I believe that everyone here has a story, and I hope to share some of the stories of those that make our university so great with you through my blog. Go ‘Cats!