Student Stories

Scholarships Are Like Coupons For College

They might not be exactly like coupons, but when it comes down to it, scholarships are the best way to take an enormous tuition bill down by a few thousand dollars. Much like ‘extreme couponing’, however, the process is rigorous and time consuming, but if you are willing to put in the time, you can save some money. Here are some useful tools to help when trying to find scholarships to qualify for.

1- Department Scholarships: One thing I realized recently is that almost every major at K-State has a department scholarship for students majoring under that department. Call up your department’s office and find out about their scholarship(s) and deadlines. Usually scholarships for any academic year have a deadline towards the end of the previous year so make sure you apply well in advance.

2-Office of Financial Aid: A lot of students do not know this, but everyone at K-State is assigned a financial advisor from the get-go. Email/Call the financial aid office to find out who your advisor is to set up an appointment to talk to them so they can help you find grants or scholarships that they think you can qualify for.

3-Online Research: Again, similar to couponing, you will have to look on a lot of websites, here is one that I have found to be more comprehensive than others.

4-GPA: Finally, just get good grades and apply for the K-State general scholarship every year. A good GPA is always a great thing to have.

About Abdurahman "Al"

Hey, name is Abdurahman Basha, but you can call me Al. I'm a sophomore majoring in finance and entrepreneurship. I do a little bit of everything and try to learn as I go. I enjoy coffee, cooking, photography, Tumblr, and the TV show Friends. I blog about how to survive and make the most out of college outside a 4.0 GPA.