Student Stories

Playlists of a K-State Blogger

Are you looking to broaden your musical horizons? Are you interested in what this K-State Blogger listens to on a typical day? Are you the kind of person who likes to discover new artists and playlists? If you answered yes to any of these questions, keep reading!

A few days ago in my Spanish class, we were discussing what the world would be like without music. It was really odd to consider, because music is something that almost all people love. If you think about it, it’s kind of interesting how many people have such unique tastes in music. I think it’s cool that you can relate to someone just because of enjoying a particular artist or song, so I thought I’d share with you some of my personal favorites.

First of all, I am a Spotify girl. I looovvveeee Spotify. I put down the $5 per month to have premium, which allows me to listen to my music offline, and it is such a great investment. Totally worth the five bucks. Here are my go-to playlists on Spotify:

• Melancholia

Slow songs are my thing. I listen to them when I’m happy, I listen to them when I’m sad, I listen to them when I’m tired, I listen to them when I’m working…I pretty much listen to them all the time. The Melancholia playlist has some great songs, and you should listen to it if you like:

• Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley
  • 9 Crimes by Damian Rice
  • We Never Change by Coldplay
  • I See Fire by Ed Sheeran
  • To Build a Home by the Cinematic Orchestra

This playlist is great for, like the title suggests, melancholy moods (or, if you’re me, any mood). I’ve listened to this playlist hundreds of times, and it makes for great dramatic-singing-in-the-shower music!

• Les Mis Soundtrack

I know what you’re thinking, and you’re probably right: I am a HUGE nerd. BUT. For those of you who have seen Les Mis, you know that the music is fantastic. For those of you who haven’t, you should watch it! The music is phenomenal. You’ve got each of the following:

• Sad songs – Falling rain, dying girls, empty chairs at empty tables….tears will fall
  • Funny songs – think Sacha Baron Cohen singing…yeah. It happens in Les Mis, and it’s GREAT
  • Motivational songs- Nothing gets me pumped like the all-cast collaboration of “One Day More”
  • Fighting Songs – TO THE BARRICADE! That’s right, there’s fighting sounds on this soundtrack, and believe it or not, they are intense AND beautiful

Basically, if you like musicals, or music, or happiness (or sadness, or humor, or fighting) you should listen to this soundtrack. It’s dramatic, beautiful, and wonderful! AND if you have a two-hour drive home like I do, it is the perfect length for the drive! It is also top-notch shower singing material.

• Discover Weekly

This is one of the coolest things on Spotify. It takes the music that you listen to, and then creates a playlist of songs similar to your favorites but different! So you get new music that you’ll probably like, and expand your musical knowledge at the same time. I love this playlist when I’m feeling adventurous and looking to add music to my library. If you haven’t already, you should definitely check this playlist out!

Before I discovered the magic of Spotify, I used to listen to Pandora. It’s a great music provider as well, and has an awesome station called Hipster BBQ. I am by no means a hipster, but boy do I like this station. You should check it out if you like artists such as:

• Vance Joy
  • Imagine Dragons
  • alt-J
  • Birdy
  • James Bay
  • Mumford & Sons
  • The White Stripes
  • M83
  • Passion Pit

It’s great for….well….listening to some great music! And, as you probably guessed, some solid shower-singing. This is a great station, and it was my go-to for a very, VERY long time!

If you want, try some of these stations out! Let me know what you think, or give me suggestions of your favorite playlists and artists. I love trying out new playlists and artists. Hit me up in the comments, or shoot me an email to tell me about your musical preferences! Rock on, Wildcats, and keep up the great shower-singing!

About Malorie

My name is Malorie Wagner, and I am a junior majoring in English. I believe that everyone here has a story, and I hope to share some of the stories of those that make our university so great with you through my blog. Go ‘Cats!