Student Stories

Summer Reading Suggestions

Summertime is almost here, and one of the best parts of this warm, sunny season for me is the opportunity to get some reading done! Whether it’s outdoors in the sunshine or indoors on the couch, I love a great book. Read on to learn about some books that I’ve read (and loved) in previous summers, and see some of the books on my list for this summer!

Summer is a time for relaxing, and what’s more relaxing than enjoying an excellent book? Here are some books I’ve read in the past that I’ve absolutely adored. If you’re looking for a good summer read, any of these are fantastic options.

• The Opposite of Loneliness – Marina Keegan

This is a unique book that contains a series of essays, speeches, and musings by the very talented young writer, Marina Keegan. These works were gathered by her family, friends, and loved ones after her tragic death at a young age. While this fact is sad, her essays are not; in fact, they’re quite inspiring. This has been one of my favorite books for a very long time, and I read it again and again. I love it, and I think it’s a really insightful look into life!

• The Last Lecture – Randy Pausch

Randy Pausch wrote a book of advice, life lessons, and important things to know as he battled cancer. This book is inspiring and amazing, just like the author! If you don’t get a chance to read the book, you should check out the actual lecture here: WATCH THIS VIDEO . Seriously, it will make you take a step back and think about what you’re doing right now in your life. The book AND the video are phenomenal. I’ve read and watched Randy Pausch, and trust me, it is so worth it.

• A House in the Sky – Amanda Lindhout

In this book, Amanda Lindhout shares her experiences of being a journalist and traveling the world, and recounts the ordeal of her kidnapping while overseas. This incredible true story is shocking, real, and just flat out amazing. If you want a gripping, incredible true story, this book is for you.

Those are just a few suggestions, but they’re books that I have read and would definitely recommend! As for what I’ll be reading, I have a seemingly never-ending to-read list….here are a few of the books on it:

• The Handmaid’s Tale – Margaret Atwood
  • The Circle – Dave Eggers
  • Infinite Jest – David Foster Wallace
  • Still Alice – Lisa Genova
  • Tiny Beautiful Things – Chery Strayed
  • The Stranger in the Woods – Michael Finkel
  • American War – Omar El Akkad

Summer is usually my prime reading time, so hopefully I’ll finish these books and more! If you have any suggestions for me, shoot me an email or leave a comment to let me know! Or, if you read one of my suggested books, let me know what you think of it! As a book nerd, I love hearing what other people have to say about books! Happy reading, Wildcats!

About Malorie

My name is Malorie Wagner, and I am a junior majoring in English. I believe that everyone here has a story, and I hope to share some of the stories of those that make our university so great with you through my blog. Go ‘Cats!