Student Stories

First-year living? Res Halls are the place to be!

My freshman year at K-State would not have been the same without the amazing residence halls! Read on to learn about my experience living in Moore Hall, and what you can expect from Res Hall life!

It was the week before classes began, and I was driving up to Manhattan with my parents for move-in day. I’d been to Orientation and Enrollment, I’d signed up for my classes, and all that was left was the actual transition from living with my parents to living with a roommate in the Residence Halls. I wasn’t super nervous on the drive, I just didn’t really know what to expect. As we pulled into the parking lot of Moore Hall, I began to feel the nerves kicking in.

Luckily, there was a Moore Hall staff member waiting for us when we got there, who told us exactly what to do. As I went up to my floor, got my room key, and met my RA, other kind members of the Moore Hall staff were helping my parents carry all of my stuff up to my room! Somehow, they managed to make most of it fit in this huge cart, and before I could even fully be nervous, the K-State Family was taking care of me.

From that first experience with move-in, I knew that I was going to enjoy life in Moore Hall. In the first week, we went to many events as a floor, which helped me get to know a ton of people. It was also really cool to be able to hang out with students who had been at K-State for one or two years already, as well as first-year students like me. After that first week, I had about 50 new friends!

Not only was I able to participate in and attend events with people from my floor, but we also had floor dinner every night. While this wasn’t required, I loved sitting down to dinner with everyone at a set time and being able to talk about our days. It felt like a family dinner, and it was great (especially in the first several weeks when I didn’t know a ton of other people). The Derb (aka Derby Dining Center) is honestly just a really awesome place to have some great food while spending quality time with amazing people.

Some of my favorite memories from my floor in Moore Hall include going to football, volleyball and basketball games together, as well as creating spontaneous games and bonfires. Sometimes we would just hang out in the lobby talking for hours, other times we would have intense political debates, and other times we would watch Disney movies or musicals. These are all cherished memories. I came into college knowing almost no one on my floor, and by the end of the year I knew that I had made friends for life.

Having a good time in the residence halls is up to you. If you want to lock yourself in your room and talk to no one, then it probably won’t be as much fun. Even if you don’t do everything with your particular floor, each residence hall does building-wide events as well. My favorite events at Moore were open-mic nights. Anyone from Moore Hall was invited to sing, play an instrument, read a poem, etc. and anyone could come watch. There was so much talent in my one building, and I just loved seeing these people perform. All of the residence halls have events, and most of the time there are posters on the walls letting you know what’s going on. RAs (Resident Assistants) are a great resource as well if you’re looking for ways to get involved or participate in the residence hall life.

One of my biggest pieces of advice to incoming students is to get to know new people. The residence halls give you a great opportunity to do this! It’s great if you have friends from high school coming to K-State with you, but don’t limit yourself to only hanging out with them. There are 24,000+ students at K-State—get to know some of them! By meeting new people and making new friends, you’ll learn and grow in ways that you won’t expect. Life in the residence halls is good, and I hope you enjoy your experiences there as much as I enjoyed mine!

About Malorie

My name is Malorie Wagner, and I am a junior majoring in English. I believe that everyone here has a story, and I hope to share some of the stories of those that make our university so great with you through my blog. Go ‘Cats!