Agricultural Communication & Journalism Internships

USDA Rural Development – Amber Kelly

During the summer of 2018, I had the opportunity to intern with USDA Rural Development in Kansas as a public information officer intern through the Pathways program. I didn’t know what to expect with this job, but it ended up being really cool and allowing me to practice all of the things I’ve learned at K-State.

While many of the internships I had heard about from my peers had a main summer project, mine didn’t. I consider my “main project” to be learning how to work in a federal office job environment. My duties were exclusively determined on a day-to-day basis, and every day was something different.

Various projects included:

• Internal communications
  • Writing and editing
  • Communications assistance
  • Photography
  • Learning!

Internal Communications

Any time the state director had information or events that the entire Kansas staff needed to know about, I got to write and send it. This was the most creative part of my job, as USDA has a strict policy for communications to the public but is less strict on intra-agency communications. I could include pictures and graphics and practice creative writing in these announcements.

Writing and Editing

Rural Development helps build housing, businesses, and utilities in rural America through loans and grants. Employees meet with people every day to help with grant applications and to connect them with opportunities. Equally important is recognizing the amazing work my coworkers did by writing “success stories” and press releases. The national Rural Development office sent a list of grant and loan recipients and I localized it by highlighting the ones in Kansas. These are posted on the Kansas Rural Development website. Another way of highlighting the good things happening in rural Kansas were “success stories,” which were in-depth articles about specific projects.

Communications Assistance

Communication is important in every job, not just as public information officers. Often, the loan specialists would ask the communications department for help with their communications. These were typically my larger projects and more diverse. One of my favorite projects was revising and editing a directory to ensure 508 compliancy. That’s making sure the document is compatible with screen-readers and accessible for those with disabilities. Another task I had was to cross reference cities with multi-family housing and summer food programs within walking distance, two Rural Development programs that go hand-in-hand. A third project I had was to design an award certificate that one of the loan specialists wanted to give to lenders to reward their hard work.

Photography

The best days were ones that I got to travel around Kansas! I often accompanied my supervisor and the state director to ground breakings, and even got to tour a hospital construction site and see behind the scenes. Sometimes I even got to drive the government car! At these events I typically got to practice some photog skills and meet the people who were affected by the work USDA does.

Learning

By far the best part of this internship was learning. I had to familiarize myself with the programs Rural Development has in order to write about them. This included approximately a bajillion acronyms! My last week on the job, I was able to attend Rural Development’s national public information officer training and learn all about the newest guidelines for social media usage, inspirational press release writing, effective interviewing, and a thorough photography lesson. I was able to really explore my interests with this job and learn more ways of using an agricultural communications degree.