Students have discovered that instant messaging is a fast and easy way to interact with K-State Libraries. The library implemented its instant-messaging reference service in October 2006, and word of the service has continued to gradually spread ever since.
In spring semester 2007, 610 general-reference questions were fielded through instant messages. This spring semester, 1,274 questions were received, for a 109 percent increase in use of the service.
Popular questions received via instant messaging include:
- Whether the library has a particular book
- Help with research questions, such as how to search the library catalog
- How to use a particular databaseLibrary hours
To instant message the Hale Library Help Desk, use these channels:
- AIM, MSN: halelibraryhelp
- Yahoo, Jabber, GTalk, meebo: halelibraryhelpdesk
For more information about instant messaging at K-State Libraries or how to use the service, see the Ask a Librarian webpage.
by Danielle Theiss-White, K-State Libraries, and Betsy Edwards, Information Technology Assistance Center