December’s IT security roundtable will be at 9-10:30 a.m. this Friday, Dec. 12, in Union 213 on encrypting laptop and desktop computers with PGP Whole Disk Encryption software. Harvard Townsend, chief information security officer, will facilitate discussion on the following topics:
- Why is encryption important?
- Overview of the technology, such as whole disk encryption vs. file/folder encryption
- Which laptops and desktops should be encrypted?
- Why buy a commercial product rather than using a freeware tool like TrueCrypt?
- Overview of the PGP Whole Disk Encryption product and its deployment at K-State
- Demonstration of PGP Whole Disk Encryption (by Marin Dowlin)
This discussion is designed to help prepare for K-State’s impending purchase and deployment of PGP Whole Disk Encryption software. As always, the IT security roundtable is sponsored by SIRT and is open to everyone.