K-State’s upgrade to Zimbra 7 on Nov. 20 resulted in many K-Staters experiencing infrequent interruptions and functionality issues with webmail, certain email clients, and mobile devices. The university continues to work with the off-site service provider to restore stability and functionality to the Zimbra system. See “Current issues and fixes being addressed” below.
|UPDATE Tuesday, Dec. 6: On the evening of Dec 5, email became very unstable and K-Staters were randomly unable to access email due to a corrupt database. At the service provider’s recommendation, the system was taken down at 6:30 p.m. to work on stabilizing the system. The outage continued through the evening with intermittent access.|
On a happier note, the new webpage What’s new in K-State Zimbra spotlights email and calendar enhancements from the upgrade, including these:
New email features
- Recover deleted items from your Trash
- Global Address List (GAL) contains contact info
- Select and add multiple attachments
- Find emails by searching senders or recipients
New calendar features
- Calendar scheduling wizard
- Multiple appointments open at same time
- Save an appointment without sending an invitation
- Create a copy of a meeting
- Set your personal availability hours
Current issues and fixes being addressed
- Icons look funny or are incorrect using webmail in Internet Explorer. K-Staters should consider switching to a different browser such as Firefox, Chrome, or Safari for the interim. Or use Mail Classic, which may have some reduced functionality but icons will display properly. (In webmail, click Mail Classic at top right. To get this setting every time at log-in, click the Options tab, and in the General section set Login to Standard HTML.) A trial instance of Zimbra will be available later today (Dec. 5) to test a more modern skin that should support Internet Explorer better.
- Global Access List (GAL) is working intermittently. K-State is working with Zimbra on a resolution.
- Email search function is working intermittently. K-State is working with Zimbra on a resolution.
- Signature is not appended to a message when an email is replied to or forwarded. From webmail, click the Options tab, and then the Signatures option at left. Highlight the desired signature and then click Save to verify it.
- Calendar functional issues. K-State is actively investigating reported calendar issues.
Please continue to provide feedback to the IT Help Desk (785-532-7722; firstname.lastname@example.org, servicedesk.ksu.edu). Information Technology Services apologizes for this inconvenience, and we are working toward a permanent fix for all issues.