iTAC staff and others on campus found a compatibility issue with the native Apple OS X Mountain Lion Calendar app and Zimbra. When you try to add or update appointments using the Calendar app, you get an error and it will not sync the appointment to Zimbra. When you click the revert-to-server button on the error, it deletes the appointments.
This seems to be a compatibility issue with Zimbra’s implementation of the protocol that is used to connect the Calendar app to Zimbra. At this time Zimbra is aware of the bug and is working on a fix, but a timeframe for a resolution has not been specified.
A workaround has been discovered, but it is possible you will still experience issues until the bug is resolved. Here is the workaround in the event you have upgraded to Mountain Lion and would like to give it a try.
- Open the Calendar app.
- Go to Preferences within the Calendar app.
- Click Alerts.
- Select webmail.ksu.edu or webmail.k-state.edu from the Account drop-down box.
- Under each alert type, set a new default alert. Something other than “none” needs to be set for each one.
- After you have set alerts for all event types, you can close the screen.
- Restart the Calendar app and try adding or modifying events.
The above is a workaround that works for some but is not a solution. We hope that one will be available in the near future.
If you or someone you know relies on the Calendar app for accessing Zimbra calendar on their Mac, we recommend holding off on upgrading to Apple OS X Mountain Lion until a permanent solution is found.