(Editor’s note: Weblinks in this article were updated Oct. 14, 2015.)
In addition to the university’s periodic Shred Day events, departments can securely dispose of paper and electronic media (eWaste) throughout the year.
To securely dispose of paper materials:
- Read the Retention of Records policy before destroying any documents.
- Review the Records Retention and Disposition Schedule for the length of time to retain specific documents. For additional clarification about that schedule, contact Cliff Hight, university archivist (785-532-3420, email@example.com).
- Contact Document Resources (doc-res.com) at 785-537-1222 to arrange a one-time pickup, set up a regular schedule for pickup, or ask questions.
- Sign an authorization document at the time of pickup, giving permission to Document Resources to accept, destroy, and recycle materials.
Sensitive paper materials include Scantron forms; green-bar grade sheets; rosters printed from K-State Online and iSIS; credit card information; personnel files; and other sensitive papers that contain grades, identities, and/or financial information.
To securely dispose of electronic media (eWaste):
- Departments can submit an eWaste form to Facilities Recycling to pick up eWaste, or take it to the Recycling Center northeast of Weber Hall.
- A Disposition of Property form (DA-110) is required for all physical eWaste. See PPM Chapter 6510 for instructions.
- Collected media are shredded in the Recycling Center and then disposed along with other eWaste.
Electronic media includes computers, printers, screens, keyboards, CDs, DVDs, and most portable media. For more information on eWaste disposal, use these resources: