Updates to Canvas were released on March 10. Canvas operates on a monthly release cycle, with features added or updated every three weeks.
To see all the new features and fixed bugs, view the complete March Release Notes. In addition to the Canvas release, Information Technology Services releases updates to services and integrations with K-State Online through the month as necessary.
The following updates have been made in K-State Online:
- Course Announcements Updates — The following changes have been made to course announcements:
- The Unread button has been changed to a menu, where users can filter between all announcements and unread announcements.
- External feeds and RSS feeds are now in a separate sidebar.
- Announcements are locked by default and no longer display a lock icon. Announcements that allow comments include a Reply link under the announcement. Users can view and reply to the announcement by clicking the announcement title or the Reply link.
- Announcements can be specified for a specific section or all sections. The number of sections is visible to all users who are able to view the announcement.
- Profile pictures display next to each announcement for the user who posted the announcement. If profile pictures are not enabled for an account, the announcement displays a placeholder profile picture.
- The Add External Feed link has been moved to a link within the External Feeds sidebar.
- The Announcements page no longer includes excess white space.
- Delayed announcements are identified in the Announcements page and include the upcoming post date and time.
- The lock and unlock icon for allowing or disallowing comments has been changed to a Reply arrow icon.
Section-Specific Announcements — When creating an announcement, instructors can create section-specific announcements in their courses. When creating an announcement, instructors can select to send the announcement to all sections, one section, or multiple sections.
Allow Comments Option — In announcements, comments are disabled by default. This change helps manage expectations for announcements while still allowing users to participate. Instructors can allow users to comment in announcements by selecting the Allow users to Comment checkbox.