An “Intro to NVivo 12 Plus” training is scheduled from 1:30-3:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 11, in 306 Calvin Hall for all faculty, graduate students, and staff who may be using this qualitative (and mixed methods) data analysis tool.
This presentation, which covers NVivo 12 Plus basics, will address the following:
- the basic parts of the NVivo 12 Plus interface
- how to start and structure a research project (including a team project)
- how to set up a project around a base language (Chinese/PRC, English/US, English/UK, French, German, Japanese, Portuguese/Brazil, and Spanish
- how to ingest various multimedia file types (and curate heterogeneous and semi-structured digital data and digitized contents)
- how to ingest some social media contents
- how to begin manual and / or automated coding various media file types
- how to run data queries in the tool and analyze resulting data visualizations (word clouds, word trees, matrices, geographical maps, bar charts, and others), and
- how to back up the .nvp / .nvpx project file
There will also be a brief section on some of the new affordances of NVivo 12 Plus (including qualitative cross-tabulations).
The presenter will be using the Windows version of the software. This will be an interactive session. Participants are encouraged to bring their laptops. No RSVP is required.
K-State does not have a site license for NVivo 12 Plus. Student licenses are available by subscription for NVivo 12 Pro or NVivo 12 Plus for Windows, or the NVivo 12 for Mac (which has fewer capabilities). The student subscriptions are for 24 month periods and available for about $114 or so.
QSR International training
An additional reference
Those who have already started using NVivo may want to refer to “Using NVivo: An Unofficial and Unauthorized Primer,” which is an e-book built on the Scalar platform that highlights various features of the software tool.
Registration is not required. However, K-Staters who want a formal record of their attendance to be noted may register via HRIS…or sign up in-person at the event (and they’ll be credited shortly after the event).
If there are questions, please email email@example.com or call 785-532-5262. Thank you for your interest. All are welcome.