As the fall season begins and we all start to focus on the many important dates around the corner there may be one that slips your mind, the FAFSA application opening date! The FAFSA application became available on October 1st and the priority deadline to complete the FAFSA is December 1st. You can complete the FAFSA online or through the myStudentAid mobile app. This process can be a bit difficult and frustrating to complete at times so, here are some helpful tips to get your FAFSA complete!
While December 1st is only the priority date and not the actual deadline to complete the FAFSA it is highly recommended to complete it by that date. Some reasons to get it done early include other aid options being dependent on FAFSA information and that the priority deadline is when they will start to make the aid packages with the limited funding.
There are great FAFSA checklists that go through the items you will need to have with you when completing the forms. Some of these items include:
- Your Social Security card
- Your driver’s license
- Your 2018 W-2 forms
- Your 2018 federal income tax return.
- Your 2018 untaxed income records.
- Your current bank statements.
- Your parents’ federal income tax return.
- Your parents’ 2018 W-2 forms.
- Your parents’ bank statements.
- Your parents’ 2018 untaxed income records.
- Any current business and investment records
Errors can cause the application to be delayed or even cause a limit on the amount of aid you are eligible to receive. Which means it is very important to try and limit the errors made on the application. Some common errors to look out for are :
- Leaving blank fields
- Using commas or decimals in numeric fields
- Mistyping your social security number or drivers license
- Not using your full name as it appears on your social security card
- Entering in any incorrect tax information
- Forgetting to count yourself as a member of the household
Finally, remember you can always get help with the FAFSA through their website, https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/filling-out/help, or come make an appointment with us! You can schedule an appointment with one of our peer financial counselors at www.k-state.edu/powercatfinancial.
Peer Counselor I