Powercat Financial

College Kid Date Night!

So, you’ve met someone, you’ve been awkwardly staring at them every time you see them since you have met them, and you finally worked up the courage to ask them on a date. Congratulations! Or you and your significant other have been very busy recently and you have agreed it is time to do something together, just the two of you. Whatever your situation might be, dates can be very expensive. The dinner, the movie, the drinks, the popcorn, the ice cream and the parking ticket you got because you didn’t see that fire hydrant all add up! With some simple planning and setting expectations you can avoid breaking your budget while spending quality time with someone you care about.

1. Look for deals, coupons and even FREE things to do

As a college student you are never out of things to do. If you check your email, K-State today or any bulletin board on-campus there are countless free or discounted events being advertised. Going to a movie, play, musical or anything that seems interesting can significantly reduce the total spent during the date and might even be more fun than the movie theatre in the mall can sell you for $20 a seat. One of the coolest things in Manhattan to me are the Christmas lights put up by hotels downtown. Those are completely free to view and can be a really fun experience.

1. Create dates with things you already have

For me, it is not about what is done during a date (or what it costs) it is about the time spent together. That being said you might already have things to do without having to pay a dime. You have a bag of popcorn that grandma sent you in a care package and mom still hasn’t kicked you off of the Netflix subscription. BOOM! You just saved $30+ that would have been spent for the exact same experience.

1. Plan ahead to avoid awkward situations!!

For this tip I want to use a real-life example that happened to a former roommate of mine. He had taken a girl out on a first date and had talked about dinner, a movie and ice cream afterwards. He leaves for the date and we all wish him good luck. The next day we asked how the date went and he walks us through a long, cringy story about how his card declined at the movie theatre. He left his date and went back to his car to scrounge for cash but came back to find that his date had paid for the tickets. Obviously, the rest of the night was ruined, and they never really talked again. Something as simple as double-checking your account balance before the date could save the night. That is why the planning aspect is so important. Not only what you are going to do but how it will be funded is a very key component.

Looking back on my first date with my significant other, I was nervous. But one thing I knew for sure was I was ready for the evening from a monetary standpoint. I just had to make sure I didn’t make a fool of myself some other way.

Should you have any concerns or questions remember, Powercat Financial is available for online or phone financial counseling sessions for students if you’d like help with setting up a budget or managing your finances. Free appointments may be requested as many times as you would like via our website link at www.k-state.edu/powercatfinancial.

Garrett Jackson

Peer Financial Counselor II

www.k-state.edu/powercatfinancial

powercatfinancial@k-state.edu

About Powercat Financial

Director of PFC