(By Jared Hoyle, KSU Turfgrass Research and Extension)
Over that past couple years we have been updating extension publications for both turfgrass professionals and homeowners. To determine which ones get updated first we look at how many of each are downloaded. The ones that are downloaded the most and are out of date are first in line.
Well, the next one in line was “Aerating Your Lawn”. To have a healthy lawn you must have healthy roots and if your soil is compacted it could hurt your root system. To relieve compaction a homeowner can easily aerify their lawn. Some benefits of aerification include;
- Breaks up or removes thatch.
- Improves infiltration of water and nutrients.
- Increases oxygen supply to roots.
- Promotes carbon dioxide release.
- encourages new and deeper root growth.
For more information check out the full publication at the KSRE bookstore!