- True, President Obama promised what was never possible in the individual market BUT
- Policies were always cancelled and often at times of high medical need and expenses
- With ACA that can no longer happen BECAUSE
- No one can be denied health insurance
- There are many options for insurance AND
- The new policies are much more substantial than the ones being cancelled. Lots of policies were almost worthless AND
- The costs, especially with the subsidies are much more affordable for real coverage AND
- All of the consumer protections are in place: no one can be denied a policy, no lifetime or annual limits AND
- No more job lock. With options for group insurance outside of working for an employer who offers insurance, options where no one can be denied a policy, people can choose to work where they want. This is a boon for entrepreneurs who want to open their own businesses. There is now a Marketplace Exchange where they can purchase policies in a group rated fashion. Imagine people leaving jobs they hate but only stayed with because they needed the insurance. Farm wives heading back to the farm because they don’t need to work away to get insurance. Families being able to move closer to loved one.
So the media hype that policies are being cancelled clouds the truth of the story. Yes people are scared because they are not yet aware of what their new options really are, they are afraid of change. They are afraid of losing their doctors. The unfortunate reality is that insurance companies have been for years changing networks of doctors annually. One could never be certain of of which doctors were going to be in their plans from year to year. Insurance companies negotiate with doctors and other health care providers annually to find the best fit and prices for the needs of their insured clientele. Obamacare didn’t change that.