Agricultural Communication & Journalism Internships

Making the Best Better—My Internship with K-State Research and Extension – Katie Harbert

Katie Harbert (left) during her Extension internship in 2018

In summer 2018, I worked as a communications intern in the Kingman County K-State Research and Extension office. I heard about this internship through a connection with one of the extension agents. They had changed a full-time program assistant to a summer-only position, providing extra assistance in communication and outreach programs during the busiest time of the year. Never having been in 4-H, I was apprehensive about the job, fearing that my lack of knowledge of the organization would affect my performance. However, I decided to take the leap and use the internship as an opportunity to learn more about 4-H and extension.  

As the communications intern, I was able to create graphics for social media posts, design flyers for community outreach programs and assist with seasonal projects in the office. Doing such a wide variety of tasks, I learned how to apply concepts from the classroom in real-world situations. I also gained valuable experience in working in a full-time job environment. My biggest area of growth throughout this internship was in professionalism. Only having part-time jobs in the past, I had never experienced many of the new responsibilities that come with working full-time.I learned that no matter how skilled I may think I am in a certain area, there is always room for improvement. Through this opportunity, I was able to expand my knowledge in how to present myself in a professional manner and learn from my coworkers.

County fair week was definitely the most exciting week of my internship, and also my favorite. Despite the late nights and early mornings, watching 4-Hers proudly show off the projects they spent all summer creating and finally bringing the livestock they have worked with for months into the show ring is always worth the stress that comes with the fair. Seeing the months of planning and preparing for the fair come to fruition is a highly rewarding experience. I also enjoy having people from all across the county coming together to look at the exhibits, participate in the food and livestock auctions and come to the community-wide events throughout the fair.

With my favorite part of my internship also comes my least favorite. With the vast array of events all happening at the same time during the fair, unexpected turns of events and problems are bound to arise. Handling these situations involves thinking of solutions on the spot, a skill that I am not strong in. Although this was challenging, learning to find quick resolutions and being willing to accept changes in plans were valuable lessons that I will use in any career. 

Through this internship, I have realized my passion for extension and plan on applying this experience to my career plans through the possibility of working as an extension agent in the future. I would recommend this internship to any students, regardless of a background in 4-H, who are looking for an exciting, fast-paced internship where no day is the same. Students interested in extension work can apply for similar internships, which typically run May through August, through the K-State Research and Extension Intern Program.