Agricultural Communication & Journalism Internships

Broadcasting Ag on Campus – Brityne Rucker

What do you want to do for a living? Do you have an internship lined out? Where do you want to live? Where do you see yourself fitting in the communications world?

These were all questions I was getting (and dreading to answer) my sophomore year at K-State. Frankly, I had no idea where I exactly fit in the big wide world of communications… but little did I know I would stumble across an internship that would change my path forever.

Broadcast Intern: Agriculture Today

Going into my fall of my sophomore year at K-State, I had no idea what path I would take in communications. I had friends going into extension, graphic design and ag policy work. Whenever I was asked what I envisioned my future job holding, I would respond with “I’m not completely sure, but I want to be around and talk to people for a living”. Little did I know, I would soon be offered a job that would change my path forever.

That same semester I was sitting in ‘Video in Food and Agriculture’ (AGCOM 435) and was approached with an opportunity by my professor. K-State Research and Extension was searching for a broadcast intern for the radio program ‘Agriculture Today’ and the video production team with K-State Research and Extension. The internship would run from Spring of 19′ to Spring of 20′.

Being that this was a broadcast and radio internship, the application and the interview process was different than I have experienced before. I had to first go through an audio audition tape process and then go in for a live interview. Along with my video submissions, I received the position as the broadcast intern with K-State Research and Extension.

The position involves audio content creation for the radio program ‘Agriculture Today’. Including; researching relevant subject matter and getting in contact with the correct individuals to get the most accurate information out to the public. I also work on any video production needed for K-State Research and Extension. My daily duties include editing video and audio tracks, researching interview topics, interviewing professionals in the agricultural field, voicing over and creating announcements such as daily news, ag stories, PSA, etc.

If you’re interested in this opportunity, you should reach out to K-State Research and Extension. I personally would recommend this internship to anyone who truly enjoys talking to people and relaying their information and stories. If you’re interested in media production, this is a fantastic learning opportunity and creates connections within the agricultural field.