Prepare Kansas

Tag: #insuranceclaim

Blog Extra! Homeowners or renters insurance may cover spoiled food

September is National Preparedness Month. It is also the month of the K-State Research and Extension annual Prepare Kansas online challenge. Prepare Kansas 2016 focuses on keeping food safe in emergency situations. This year’s program will be conducted through the K-State Research and Extension Facebook page. No registration is required, so Kansans and anyone interested in planning ahead for emergencies can follow on Facebook and this blog at any time during September, pick up handy information and interact with K-State extension specialists and agents.



As with any type of insurance claim, it is important to understand the details of your specific policy and coverages when considering making a claim for food spoiled as a result of a power outage. Check your policy or contact your insurance agent to ask about the following.

Cause of the power outage. While many homeowners and renters policies provide coverage for spoiled food as a result of a power outage, the cause of the power outage may determine whether or not you are covered.

Policy limits and deductibles. There may be limits on how much your policy will pay per occurrence of food spoilage.  There may also be a deductible. That means, if your loss was $500 and the deductible was $250, your policy would pay $250 for the loss of food. Depending on the situation, filing a claim for spoiled food might be combined with a larger claim from the same event.

Document your losses. If you routinely have a full freezer, it is important to know how you will be expected to document your loss if you make a claim. You probably don’t need to save the spoiled food but taking pictures is a good idea. Ask your insurance company for details.

It is important to note that food spoilage resulting from malefunctions of an old or faulty refrigerator or freezer is probably not covered.