Severe weather can strike any time of the year. Are you prepared? As Kansas enters peak storm season, follow these steps to be ready for severe weather.
K-State Research and Extension is a statewide network of educators sharing unbiased, research-based information and expertise on issues important to Kansas. As in any disaster or emergency, it is important to get information from official sources. The following official sources are providing information about COVID-19 (Novel Coronavirus 2019).
Many resources are available in languages other than English. Access them from web pages linked above.
Handwashing is very important for our health, and is especially important after touching foods that have been contaminated with flood water. Some researchers estimate that handwashing reduces the number of people who get sick with diarrhea by 31%. The following steps should be taken to wash hands properly:
- Wet your hands with clean, running water (warm or cold), turn off the tap and apply soap.
- Lather your hands (including the backs of your hands, between your. fingers, and under your nails) by rubbing them together with the soap.
- Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds.
- Rinse your hands well under clean, running water.
- Dry your hands using a clean towel or air drying.
- Pack an emergency supply kit www.ready.gov/car
- Traveling with kids? Include emergency items for kids when you pack: https://www.ready.gov/kids/family-emergency-planning/build-a-kit
- Traveling with pets? Add a few emergency items for your pets, like water and food www.ready.gov/pets
- Fill out an emergency communications plan card and let your “in case of emergency” contact know your plan: https://www.ready.gov/plan #SafeTravels
- Download the FEMA app. Go to https://www.fema.gov/mobile-app
The Ready Campaign is a national public service campaign designed to educate and empower the American people to prepare for, respond to and mitigate emergencies, including natural and man-made disasters. The goal of the campaign is to promote preparedness through public involvement. Many campaign resources are available at ready.gov Many of them are available in languages other than English. Access a drop-down menu of languages at the top right hand corner of the web page.