IT News

Q/A: Axio Learning Conference Sept. 29-30

Are you planning to attend the annual Axio Learning Conference, which is Sept. 29-30 at the K-State Alumni Center in Manhattan, Kan?

We caught up with Shalin Hai-Jew, instructional designer at K-State, to ask her a few questions in anticipation of the event next week and find out what sessions she’s “deeply curious” about.

Q/A with Shalin Hai-Jew, Information Technology Assistance Center

Why are you attending the Axio Conference?

“I really enjoy catching up with all the different people using Axio Learning, especially those from other campuses. K-State is a big enough campus that I also find myself reconnecting with faculty that I don’t see that often.”    

Are you presenting?

“Yes, Swasati Mukherjee, Ben Ward, and I are presenting ‘Free Tools for Instructional Design’ as part of the pre-conference. That will be a fun session with all of us sharing some of our favorite freebies.

I’m also presenting on ‘Using Value-Added Visuals in E-Learning’ which is about ways to maximize the use of digital imagery in online learning. That presentation builds on ideas of how people use visuals in learning (perception, cognition, and learning) and then ways that we can practically capture and integrate imagery.”

What sessions are you looking forward to attending?

“Michael Wesch’s keynote is a can’t-miss because of the way he thinks and melds techno with everything else in life. Rebecca Gould, Tweed Ross, and Elizabeth Unger’s ‘The Looking Glass: Faculty and Students’ Perception of Technology in the Classroom’ will be rolling out new research that will enhance my work.

I’m deeply curious about Brian Lindshield’s ‘Flexbooks’ because of his creative use of digital information. Sue Williams’ ‘Creating a Culture for Distance Courses’ will probably be insanely interesting because she tells such engaging stories.

Really, all of them look good.  I plan to watch the videos of the sessions I miss and swipe handouts where possible.”

If you can’t attend the entire conference, feel free to attend only the sessions that interest you and that you have time for. Pre-registration isn’t necessary, but recommended. To register and to view the entire conference schedule, visit axioconference.org.

Share this post: