IT News

Brent Anders publishes first book

by Information Technology Services

Brent Anders, senior electronic media coordinator, Office of Mediated Education, published his first book ‘How to Enhance Instructional PRESENCE: Research & experience based techniques to improve both online & face-to-face instruction (VIDEO for EDUCATION Series)’ March 1, 2017.

Brent has worked in higher education for twenty years, concentrating in media and online instruction. He extensively works with video capture, dramatic video production (directing, capturing, script writing, editing, and final production), live webcasting, educational media consulting, and instructional technology training.

Why did you decide to write a book?

I very much want to help professors and other instructors. Having worked in higher education for a long time I know the struggles and the time constraints that instructors are under. I also know that instructors still want to improve. This book demonstrates how to enhance instructional presence (ensuring that students don’t feel like just a number) through the proper use of video in a simple and time-effective manner. I’ve taken many online courses in both the military and higher education worlds and “instructional presence” is an important area where many courses can be improved.

What did you learn during the publishing process?

Writing a book is very time consuming but I was very motivated. I have presented on this topic several times throughout the United States and every time I’ve had people come up to me and say “thank you, this is exactly what I needed to understand.” I also had several people ask me if I had a book out about this, now I can tell them yes, here is a resource for you.

Do you have plans for another book?

Yes, very much so. I have several topics I’m considering in that I plan for this to be a whole series dealing with “Video in Education.” I’m currently researching topics such as how to easily and inexpensively make professional-looking video and properly using other video sources.

What does the future hold for online learning?

I believe that the future is very bright for online learning. Given the flexibility and need for ongoing education, online learning is the answer. With that come increasing competition so it is vital for all of us to create the best online learning experience possible. A big component of ensuring an effective and transformative online experience is through the proper use of video, which this new book series will help to address.

In addition to working for OME, Brent has worked as a professor and still works as a U.S. Army National Guard international instructor. He does periodic speaking events and presentations throughout the country dealing with different aspects of online learning and instructional technology. Brent is currently pursuing a PhD Education – Adult Learning.

Brent’s book is available in both paperback and e-book form through Amazon.

Brent has recorded a presentation on how video can be created and used to help with instruction of the course content as well as to help establish and increase instructor presence. To learn more, visit the K-State Online website.

Share this post: