Departments on the Manhattan and Salina campuses have about two weeks to finish collecting papers for free, secure disposal on K-State Shred Day. The event is Tuesday, Oct. 15: 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Manhattan campus, and 10 a.m.–noon Salina campus.
Departmental contacts must bring a signed authorization document giving permission to Document Resources, Inc. to accept, destroy and recycle materials. Electronic media and wet or contaminated paper will not be accepted. See below for drop-off and pickup times.
- Drop-off: 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Oct. 15 at two locations:
- Pickup: Departments that cannot bring documents to designated areas may contact iTAC, 785-532-4918, to schedule a time and location for pickup.
- Required: A completed Manhattan campus Shred Day form (PDF)
- Drop-off: 10 a.m.-noon Oct. 15 at the service/delivery area behind the Technology Center. Access is through the Information Systems office, STC 184.
- Pickup: Departments that cannot bring documents to the loading area may contact Information Systems, 785-826-2666, to schedule a time and location for pickup.
- Required: A completed Salina campus Shred Day form (PDF)
Guidelines for disposal
- Put paper in boxes or heavy-duty black-plastic bags. (No need to remove staples, paper clips, 3-ring binders, file folders, etc.)
- Clearly label each container for “Shred Day”.
- Make sure each bag/box is less than 25 pounds.
- Do NOT leave documents for shredding in hallways or public areas.
- Retention of Records policy — Review policies before destroying documents.
- Records Retention and Disposition Schedule — See length of time to retain specific documents. For additional clarification, contact Cliff Hight, university archivist (785-532-3420, email@example.com).
- Document Resources Inc. is on state contract, so pickup of documents is also available at other times during the year.